X Canada Adventure

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Kakabeka Falls - Dorion

Total Distance 116 km Ave 27.0km Ride Time 4hr 18min.
I rode my bike to Thunder Bay to repair my spoke that broke yesterday. When I got there it turned out that another spoke was actually ripping through the wheel. There was a full on crack in the wheel. I had to have another wheel built for my bike. $350. Ouch!
The nwew wheel is a Mavic, 36 spokes with an XTR hub. Sweet. My old wheel had 28 spokes. Apparently this is a low number of spokes even for mountain biking and would most likely fail when loaded for touring. (Another beef with Cambridge Cycle.)

I also had my rear rack fixed so it no longer pivots down and affects my brakes or my derailleur. Genius! They cut one of the supports on the rack and spaced it from the frame mounts. Absolute genius. While I waited I got lunch at JJ's Chinese Restaurant. Curried shrimp:)
I started on the road at 3:30pm I took Lakeshore Dr. up to the Hwy 11/17. Farzam at Petrie's Cycle told me to go that way because you are not allowed to bike on the expressway. Unfortunately, this caused me to miss the Terry Fox Memorial. I finally realized this in Dorion.
I don't know why, but this is one of the sights that I was really looking forward to seeing. I decided to hitchhike my way back the 65km to the memorial.
After trying for 3 hours I put up my tent in the bush on the side of the road for the night. (It never takes that long to get a ride.)
I ate my pasta salad that Pat's Mom made for dinner. Mmm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home