X Canada Adventure

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Banff - Calgary

The trip to Calgary was extremely fast. 68km total and my average speed was 28.0km/hr. It seemed like it was all downhill. I took hwy 1 and not 1A. People said that 1A would be less busy but the 1 wasn't bad at all and the shoulders were really good.
As I was biking down what looked like that last bit of mountainous territory I was thinking that I was disappointed that I didn't get to see any mountain goats. Just then, on a bank on the side of the road some rocks fell down. I looked up and to my surprise 3 goats where making for the woods. I yelled at them to wait while I got my camera out. Of course they didn't. I stood there a little longer grumbling to myself. I did snap one picture of an ass making for the trees. Just as I was about to get on my way again all three goats came back on the hilltop and stared straight at me. I got a sweet pic. I guess they felt bad for me or something.

I stayed in the hostel in Calgary. It was in a sketchy area of town. Apparently there is a Backpacker hostel that is a few $ more but is much nicer. I met a guy from German. I think his name was James. (Sorry for not remembering. Email me if you're reading this:) )
We visited the Calgary tower together. It is an ugly building, but the view that day was very nice. The mountains seemed so far away. They shrunk very quickly as I was biking.
We also walked along the river and saw a nice skyline of the city. We walked along 8th Ave which is a nice pedestrian mall in town with patios and cool shops. We were told to check out Eau Claire Market, but it ended up being just a boring mall. Apparently a few years ago it was a real indoor market with cool shops, but not anymore.
At night we checked out the nightlife board at the hostel and tried to go to a bar called Venne. The board was at least 4 months out of date so instead of a hiphop bar it was a bar called ClubHiFi. It was Pink Lightning night. (80's dance music). Not really my scene. We ended up staying much longer than we should have.
All in all Calgary was ok.

2 Comments:

At June 25, 2005 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ry, thanks for the update. It's great reading about your exploits - goats, malls, rock towers and Calgary towers. We're anxious to hear how you made it through the floods....
Dad

 
At June 26, 2005 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good story with those goats, the good times never end do they? I'm kind've curious about those floods too - hopefully they didn't pose to much of a problem for you.

-Kevin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home