X Canada Adventure

Monday, June 06, 2005

Birch Island to Blue River

I wussed out today. The rain got to me and I stopped early. A meer 97km. Ther were tow reasons: It was raining (which continued until 7:30pm) and there were no actual campsites until Valemount and I wasn't going to make it there. So, bottom line is ...I wussed out! The road was more hilly then yesterday, but not too bad. Messiter Summit at 765m was the only climb of note.
The nice woman at the last campsite made me breakfast too! Can you believe that???? Toast, coffee and some sliced veggies. It was waiting for me when I got out of my tent on the picnic table. I'm going to send them a nice note. :)
So...I have two more problems.
1. My Achilles tendon (spelling??) really hurts. I have fixed my knee, but it some how has made my Achilles bad. i can feel the creaking of tendonitis. Fun times. More pedal/shoe adjusting to be done. I have a way to pedal so it doens't hurt. So it's not a big deal right now.
2. My pedal crank seems to be separating from my bike. I don't have the tools to tighten it with me. it isn't something that should come loose. I will have it dealt with in Jasper. It's not dangerous. It's just a big pain.
So, today was pretty much crap. (Well, except for my breakfast:) )
So. Here is some insight into Ryan.
I was eating dinner at my picnic table, swatting at all the mosquitos around me. (This is the first time that I have really seen them.) Anyhow, I was sitting there...wet, groaning about my tendon, the rain and the bugs....and it came to me. They should add a bug part to the daily forecast.
"And now Harold Hussain from the weather desk, Harold"
"Um...today will be partly buggy with some sunny breaks and a high of 31. And yes, the triple threat will be out in full force today...blackflies, mosquitos and noseeums."
or....
"Make sure you break out the sunscreen and bug spray today. The UV index will be a whopping 7.9 and the BF (bug factor) 9.2."
Good times.

4 Comments:

At June 09, 2005 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday Ryan! Hope it's sunny and warm where you are, with smooth roads and easy peddling. If not so easy, then the scenery must be fantastic.

Love,

Dad

 
At June 10, 2005 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,
A very happy birthday to you from all the Cross's. Hope your arm is O.K. Your blog is lots of fun and we look forward to reading about your adventures. Good luck with the rest of the trip
XXXX's

 
At June 13, 2005 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waiting on an update from the 'arm not working'... what's going on?? You have me a little worried! Hope all is okay!! Hope you had a fantastic birthday.
Diane :)

 
At June 16, 2005 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 words....
Roving Reporter Ryan Dong!!!
LOL
Christine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home