X Canada Adventure

Monday, June 13, 2005

Lake Louise - Banff

Today was a really busy day. The weather was uncooperative. Bah!
I got up early and packed all my stuff and put it in a locker at the hostel. Then I biked up 4.5 km to Lake Louise. The hotel was awful looking but the lake was nice. It was super cloudy so there wasn't anything special about the lake...it was just nice. There were quite a few people there. I hiked up to a teahouse ...about an hour hike. I passed Annette Lake I think...and then to Mirror Lake where the teahouse was. I bought some chocolate cake:) and a sandwich. They were both very good and very expensive. I was going to hike further but it was cold, cloudy and rainy. (It snowed for a few minutes too.) I took some pictures but none really turned out.
Then I biked to Moraine Lake. It too was 'nice.' The cloudy weather does nothing for the scenary. It was really raining by this time so I dried off in the gift shop and restaurant. It began to snow really hard and I tried to wait it out but it was no use. I had a timeline to meet.
I biked back to the hostel and got my stuff and headed for Banff. I left at 4:20pm. I biked along the Bow Valley Parkway. A very nice, scenic ride. Apparently all the bad weather was around the lakes so the ride was nice. I stopped along the way for and hour and hiked Johnston Canyon and saw two very nice waterfalls.
The ride to Banff was very nice and mostly downhill. I arrived at the hostel at 8:45pm. The hostel is up Tunnel Mtn Road. At the top. Be prepared for a hill.
I haven't met anyone here yet so I guess I will be on my own tomorrow when I spend the day here. I'm going to review my guide book to see what I can do.
Night.

3 Comments:

At June 14, 2005 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan,
Great to read all your posts. Hope your weather turns out nicer for your Banff day and from Banff onwards. Your hikes around Lake Louise and Moraine Lake brought back memories of my hikes over 30 years ago. So, you're now heading to sea level, so it's all downhill from here, right? Only a few thousand feet in elevation drop to the Atlantic Ocean. But I'm sure you'll still have great adventures on the way. Sunny days ahead.
Dad

 
At June 15, 2005 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been using Google maps to see where you are. Here's a link to this route: Lake Louise to Banff
Laurene

 
At June 16, 2005 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ry
The prairies are your next adventure.I am learning about Canada being a couch potato through your bike riding adventure. Enjoy.
Southern Belle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home