X Canada Adventure

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Calgary - Bassano

132km total today.
There was a difficult headwind today. It's not quite what I was hoping for after the speedy day that I had yesterday.
It was worst because the trucks really stirred up the wind when they passed me. The gusts from the trucks come in three parts. First, you get the initial burst that makes you swerve back and forth. Second you get a calm moment to regain your bearings. Third, you get the draft that pulls you along with the truck for a moment. It is in this moment that you pedal like mad to gain speed. Although it's a bit scary sometimes, it does give you a momentary boost and breaks the headwind.
It was easy to get out of Calgary. The 1 is nicer on the way out than on the way in. I stayed in the campsite in the middle of Bassano and met a woman from Quebec, Jocelyn. She is cycling to Montreal. I practiced my french with her over dinner at a restaurant by the hwy. Just after that we got a big rain storm. It was nice and dry in my tent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home