X Canada Adventure

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Antigonish - Inverness

Ave 22km/hr. Distance 141.10km. Ride Time 6hr25min.
When I got back to my bike after dinner last night it had a flat. This morning I changed it and picked up a new tube at the bike store just west of twon on Hwy 104. That meant a late start. Grrr. The ride to the Canso Causway had a few hills. There was only a couple of nice views along the main hwy. I have decided to do the Cabot Trail so I headed up Hwy 19 into a killer headwind. Just after Judique it started to rain lightly. (And no I didn't stop riding just yet.) I rode to Mabou and pulled off the road for some dinner. Just as I sat down to eat it started to pour. (Good timing).
In Judique I inquireed and was told that The Barn in Margaree Forks had good live music. I was hoping to get there tonight, but with now it seems unlikely that I will make it.
I need to book my ferry still. It's difficult when I don't know the terrain ahead or the weather.

So...I made it to Inverness and paid $28 for a campsite. Ridiculous. I think I got some pretty good pics coming into the town though. There were some cool rain clouds coming in off the ocean over the hills.
I decided to go to a local CD opening at a bar in town. I met two sisters on a road trip that happened to be staying at the same campsite. They are from the Toronto area and had decided to head for Inverness. We chatted at the opening and decided to go to a Ceilidh back in Mabou which I had passed through earlier in the day. (They had a car so it was easy getting back:) ). Lindsay, Kristen and I learned how to dance with the locals. It was a really good time. I guess they have these dances pretty much every night if you're willing to go between the small towns in the area. It is the same dance all the time so everyone can do it. There are a couple of parts that I still get wrong, but I'm sure with more practice I'll get it. Kristen goes to U of T and Lindsay will be going to Guelph in the fall. I told them I would introduce them to the famous Aggie Pub!!! Good times.

1 Comments:

At August 04, 2005 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ry!
Glad you had fun in Mabou, the home town of The Rankin Family! The music and atmosphere must have been great. You should have great scenery in the Cape Breton Highlands - hope you miss the light showers and stay on the sunny side of the clouds.
Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home