X Canada Adventure

Friday, August 05, 2005

Pleasant Bay - Skir Dhu

Ave 18.0km/hr. Distance 106km. Ride Time 5hr53min.
Started out late. I was going to do a hike with one of the girls at the hostel, but she didn't get back from whale watching in time. The climb out of Pleasant Bay was pretty big. So was the descent into Neil's Harbour. The views didn't get nice until well into the day, but at least today was sunny. As it turns out I had a nice headwind today too. Meh, it's bearable at least. (Not like yesterday)
I stopped frequently for breaks and pictures. It's like the mountains here becaus it's hard to make myself bike and leave the nice scenary.
I had dinner in Ingonish Beach. I had to ask which town I was in becuase they all blend together and are spare at best.

So..here's the big news of the day.
I bailed huge coming down the last big hill of the day, Smokey Mountain. Something went wrong when I was rounding one of the first corners going down the hill. I didn't make it and hit the gravel shoulder pretty fast. (I'm really amazed at how fast your feet unclip from your pedals when going over you handlebars.) Anyways, after it all I landed on my feet...well...after smacking my head, shoulder, both elbows and my left knee. Everything bled quite a bit. (Except for my head as I was wearing my ever popular brain bucket.) I got cleaned up at the next store, about 8 km down the road.
I should have some good pictures for you, but perhaps not if they are too gruesome. I will have them transferred to CD in North Sydney before I catch the ferry. I can't decide whether to take the 4pm and get a campsite in Newfoundland or to take the 11:30pm and sleep on the ferry. Meh..either way.

5 Comments:

At August 07, 2005 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,
Glad that you did so well and are on your way again. You are in great shape.
I hope that you enjoyed the ferry ride.
Many pretty scenes to see yet.
LOve MOM

 
At August 07, 2005 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your spill.. Smokey is pretty steep.. I don't like to drive a car down that mountain..
Hope the weather stays nice for you :)
Shelly

 
At August 07, 2005 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,
Darn, you were almost done! Hope your wounds are healing well and that the rest of your journey will be safe. Thinking of you....
The Crosses

 
At August 08, 2005 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you man that must have sucked! Hope you are okay.
man I would have liked to see it though! hehehe

sara

 
At August 09, 2005 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucks about the tumble.. have fun on the ferry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home