X Canada Adventure

Thursday, August 11, 2005

ST. JOHN'S!!!!!!

I made it!!!
The journey into town was uneventful except for the hills coming south on the hwy and the fog for the first half of the day. The fog was definitely some of the most mentally challenging riding that I've had to do on the whole trip. I was biking in hills and a headwind at the time, and you can't see where you are headed or where you have been or if you are going up or down a hill.

I felt so lost. The time passed so slowly.
I finally made it out of the fog and started east for St. John's. The hills where more tame along this route and the wind was on my back/side.
I called Laurene and we agreed to meet a Cape Spear, the most easterly point in Canada. The trip into St. John's was very nice and there were some excellent views of the city. I will take pictures of them another day.
There were some difficult hills leading to Cape Spear. Especially after such a long day. Halfway up there was a sign for me that Laurene and Christa had made encouraging me on.
When I got to the top, they had a painted banner for me.............and some juice and treats.
Such a nice reception!!!!


I will be staying with Christa and her boyfriend Rick. It will be nice staying in a real house. I have spent the 10 days on the road since my last day off.


I will write more about this day..but I don't have the time right now. I want to make a few notes about some of the things I have not included...yet....in my blog.

- Visting Alison in Winnipeg (who I hadn't seen in 4 or 5 years) was awesome. We relaxed and hung out and did some touristy stuff in the town and went to the beach...and to the horse races....and I got to meet her family.
- When I visit Guelph I got to have ice cream with Doug and Erin...went to dinner with Amanda and Sara and had a BBQ with my housemates. I also got sick one day and was on the couch in front of the TV the whole time.
- I got an amazing welcome into Kingston. I told Meg which route I would be taking into town and she wrote me a nice welcoming message on the shoulder of the road. (I will post pictures shortly.) It was much nicer than the cream soda incident.
- The ferry to Newfoundland was good. I slept most of the way and am glad that I was able to fall asleep after I woke up to the heaving of the ship.
- Newfoundland was awesome. The people are so nice and the scenary is spectacular. There are so many things that I missed along with way that I will return to see.

I have no deep thoughts to end my trip. Well, I guess this isn't really the end of my trip. I may be done biking, but there are still lots of new things happening in the next little while that the adventures will continue.
I'm excited for school come September and I may have to move in the near future.

Thank you everyone for your support along the way. Knowing that people read my blog made all the difference and all the comments made me feels so close to all of you.
I will continue to post entries and pictures until it's complete and I've returned to Guelph (probably even after I'm in Guelph), so please check back for the full version.
Tak'er easy,
Ry

10 Comments:

At August 12, 2005 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,
CONGRATULATIONS! Wow, you've made it cross the country in amazing time. Can't wait to hear about your stories in person and see you photos. Let me know when you're returning and if you need a ride from the airport. See you soon!
A

 
At August 12, 2005 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations, Ryan. We are all so proud of you. This trip really reflects who you are - what an accomplishment! Come and see us in Kingston and tell us more about your exciting trip.
The Crosses

 
At August 12, 2005 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! You da man!

 
At August 12, 2005 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's bloody sweet. congrats on finishing an amazing trip. It's definately been fun following along through the blog. It certainly seemed pretty quick reading the blog.

I'll see you back in guelph I guess!

-Kevin

 
At August 12, 2005 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go buddy!!!!

Glad to see you finished! We have to get together sometime for a drink and to swap stories about our trips!

 
At August 13, 2005 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulation Ryan!! You have been a great example on my trip of someone who believe and follow his dreams. Keep going, there is always more(but relax first!)
Mélissa

 
At August 14, 2005 6:22 PM, Blogger mike (in the middle) said...

WOW, Congratulations from all of us in Kakabeka Falls (almost the midpoint of Canada). We never doubted you'd do it Donger, but are glad to see you are still in one piece after this monumental trip. Way to Go!!!! Mike Zettek

 
At August 15, 2005 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Ryan!! You made it! I am so proud of you. I'm glad that you're alright after the big fall, but it had to happen, right?? I just got back from Quebec City - did you go through there? We'll have to share stories! Looking forward to seeing you again in Kingston. What's your plan now?

Diane :)

 
At August 17, 2005 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great new photos Ryan. I'm continuing to enjoy your new updates....
Dad

 
At August 28, 2005 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did it!!
You ARE the man!!!
hehehe
I can't wait to hear all the stories I'm sure you have..
CONGRATS!!
Shelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home